Statement of Directors’ responsibilities
in respect of the Annual Report and the financial statements
The Annual Report 2011 contains the following statements regarding responsibility for the financial statements and business review included in the Annual Report.
The Directors are responsible for preparing the Annual Report, the Directors’ Remuneration Report and the financial statements in accordance with applicable law and regulations.
Company law requires the Directors to prepare financial statements for each financial year. Under that law the Directors have prepared the Group and Parent Company financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) as adopted by the European Union. Under company law the Directors must not approve the financial statements unless they are satisfied that they give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Group and the Company and of the profit and loss of the Company and Group for that period.
In preparing those financial statements the Directors are required to:
- select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
- make judgements and estimates that are reasonable and prudent;
- state whether applicable IFRSs as adopted by the European Union have been followed, subject to any material departures disclosed and explained in the financial statements; and
- prepare the financial statements on a going concern basis, unless it is inappropriate to presume that the Group will continue in business.
The Directors are responsible for keeping adequate accounting records that are sufficient to show and explain the Company’s transactions and disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the Company and the Group and to enable them to ensure that the financial statements and the Directors’ remuneration report comply with the Companies Act 2006 and, as regards the Group financial statements, Article 4 of the IAS regulation. They are also responsible for safeguarding the assets of the Company and the Group and hence for taking reasonable steps for the prevention and detection of fraud and other irregularities.
Directors’ responsibility statement
Each of the Directors, whose names are listed below, confirms that to the best of their knowledge:
- the Group financial statements, which have been prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities, financial position and profit of the Group; and
- the management reports (which are incorporated into the Report of the Directors) contained in the Annual Report include a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Group together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that it faces.
A copy of the financial statements of the Group is placed on the Company’s website. The Directors are responsible for the maintenance and integrity of statutory and audited information on the Company’s website at www.landsecurities.com. Information published on the internet is accessible in many countries with different legal requirements. Legislation in the United Kingdom governing the preparation and dissemination of financial statements may differ from legislation in other jurisdictions.
The Directors of Land Securities Group PLC as at the date of this announcement are as set out below:
* Non-executive Directors
By order of the Board
- Adrian de Souza
- Group General Counsel and Company Secretary
- 17 May 2011